Saturday, August 11, 2007

Kelly Clarkson, My December

We’ve lost count to how many American Idols there are since the show’s inception in 2002. But if you really want to talk about THE face for the popular television series, Kelly Clarkson would be it.

Since her meteoric rise to instant stardom on American Idol, Kelly has been riding on rather smooth sailing career. Her 2003 debut Thankful received favorable reviews, despite it being a label-driven album creatively. In 2004, Kelly decided to execute more control over her songs and moved into a more pop-rock direction for her second album Breakaway. With five Top 10 U.S. singles, Breakaway became the fourth album in America’s history to chart on the Billboard 200 Top 10 for a whole year. To date, Breakaway has sold a whooping 6 million copies in the U.S. and 11 million copies worldwide.

Inspired by the success of Breakaway, Kelly took full artistic control for her third album, My December, writing and co-writing every song on the album. According to Kelly, the biggest difference of My December compared to her previous work, “is how intimate it is.”

"The record is about me, why I make the decisions I do," Kelly explains. "Most of my songs are about what's happening in my life. For me, it's like free therapy. Whether it's me growing, or helping someone else get through similar circumstances."
Kelly Clarkson
Without a doubt, My December signifies Kelly’s stature as recording artist with a full artistic vision for her own sound. It’s a major turning point for the 25-year-old, and Kelly is not afraid to tell her story.

"It's the end of something and the beginning of a new era, a fresh start,” says Kelly. “My December is like a movie about me, it's my story.”

No comments: